03 January 2010

A kick in my step. A pedometer on my hip.


Health practitioners say you must walk 10,000 steps a day. One of my Christmas gifts this year was a pedometer. I measured my stride, attached it to hip and have my begun my journey to 10,000. One of the races I'm participating in this season is the Annapolis 1/2 marathon. My training partner is H and we couldn't be more excited to be racing together. Our plan is to spend every Sunday doing our 'long' segments. Week 1 was a 4 miler. Not today. It is currently 22 degrees with a -12 wind chill. We don't live in Chicago or Buffalo where that type of day is a walk in the park. Our closets are not filled with the necessary layers of wool, cotton and fur. We decided that hot chocolate and a movie were our better option. We start next Sunday.

A savvy young lady shared with me her favorite diet tip - you may love food, but you have to love thin better. As I embark in my first 10,000 steps, I'm also designing a new eating regime of less of everything, but more fruits and veggies.

breakfast - egg white omelet w/ roasted red peppers
snack 1 - apple
lunch - 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ pumpkin
snack 2 - trail mix
dinner - veggie pizza w/ goat cheese and tofu sausage

total calories consumed = 1500. total steps taken =

first goal = 10 pounds lost = a brand new nook from Barnes & Noble.
-----

A cold weekend wouldn't be the same without a trip to the movie theatre. The twins have been begging to go see Alvin and the Chipmunks (the Squeakquel). Today I will make their wish a reality. The Washington Post movie critic, who is usually disappointed in sequels, wrote that this one is bearable. I hope he is right or I just wasted $27 + money for snacks.







No comments: