17 August 2008

Summer Stay-cation




For the last few years, my parents have been renting a place in Myrtle Beach. This year would be no different. We would go for seven days the second week of August. Unfortunately, our plans were altered when Grandpa Busardo fell ill and it was decided we wouldn't travel. Instead of the beaches of South Carolina, I spent the week home with the twins. Kevin wasn't going to be able to join us at the beach this year because of the intensive management program he's currently enrolled. The twins and me stuck to our normal routine, except I didn't go into the office.

Our stay-cation began with the installation of our new 46" LCD television. We only missed the first thirty minutes of the opening ceremonies [of the 2008 Olympics]. It was beautiful to watch in high-def. We spent the next two days with friends - FiFi came to visit us for antiquing in Old Town Frederick. We then joined an old friend, from my corporate days, for a play date with her son. Since I was at home, I couldn't avoid a few around the house type chores - laundry, addressing August birthday cards, and yard sale tagging. Oh, and a new hairstyle. It'll take some getting used to (it's really short), but I think I'm going to like it. I made sure to get out on my bicycle -- 13miles/day for three days straight. My biking goal is 12 miles under 60 minutes! Thursday was spent in Baltimore. Grandma Busardo and me took the twins to the Maryland Science Center. We had tickets to the Body World 2 exhibit. The body is both fascinating and disturbing at the same time. To see it plasticized and quartered left me thinking about how I need to take better care of my body. Wow! Smoking really is a disgusting habit. And a coal miner's lung - there aren't words to describe it. I spent Friday in Arlington with Diana and her kids for our third play date of the week. A trip to Arlington just isn't the same without Joe's Pizza for lunch. We talked about Facebook and how there are four types of Facebook friends - the collector, the get-back-in-touch, the voyeur, and the peeping tom. I couldn't help but laugh when she shared her theories on Facebook. For me, I'm still finding the popularity of Facebook a bit creepy. Saturday meant a trip to the Montgomery County Fair. The twins identified all the animals, listened to a rooster crow, and loved petting the bunny rabbits. And, it wouldn't be a fair without a funnel cake. I haven't seen much of Kevin since he's been working twice as hard! We can't wait for October 1 - the end of his program.

It's back to work tomorrow. I'm not sure what will await me. I tried not to check email too many times. The buildings didn't burn down, which means it will most likely be business as usual. It would have been nice to sit on the beach for a week, but I'm not sure this year's trip would have been a vacation [sans Kevin]. I enjoyed the time off and look forward to my next real vacation. At least I saved $200-$300 in gas. And the naps! I haven't napped in weeks. Those afternoon siestas felt so good.

I'll end this post with a John & Kathryn update. They have gone from silent children to non-stop talkers. And, they hit another milestone today. As Grandma Busardo and I were chatting, they hopped on their tricycles and pedaled around the house. Today was the first day they actually pumped their pedals! The kids are growing like weeds. Maybe we should have another.

No comments: