08 February 2009

Can I be a vegetarian for 30 days

The few blog followers I have know that I am participating in my first triathlon this coming May. With just three months left until I plunge into Smith Mountain Lake, I've decided to make some small changes to my diet. With all my swimming, biking and running, I needed to increase my protein intake. While I love a beautifully grilled steak (medium rare, please), I've decided to live the next thirty days as a vegetarian. I will be substituting my usual proteins with soy, peanuts, legumes and more leafy green veggies. My sister is a vegetarian and she makes it look so easy, so I've stepping up to her challenge. To help me keep to this challenge, I will be chronicling my daily diet.

------------
Day 1

Let me just say, the first step is always the hardest. It's even harder when you've spent the night before having a four course meal at Pelana in Washington, DC. This date night with my good friend Holly, her boyfriend Tony and Kevin was a superb gastronomical experience. The gnocchi (course #2) and the braised duck with pureed peas (course #4) made waking up to this change very difficult.

Breakfast - vegetarian link sausage, small coffee cake & peaches. Coffee w/ Chocolate Soy.
Lunch - Silken tofu with broccoli
Snack - Cup of Almonds & dried cherries
Dinner - Roasted potatoes, onions, and garlic.
Dessert - Sliced Apples

Since Kevin is not participating in this challenge, meals where we dine together will continue to include steak, chicken, seafood. I will just omit those items from my plate.

At the end of this challenge, I will be leaving for a girl's weekend in Disneyworld (FL) where I will be participating in my first spring 5k.

No comments: