09 December 2007

Book Club

I was invited to join a book club. Every Sunday when we receive the Washington Post Weekend Edition there are only a few sections I find interesting - Travel, Style & Arts (to check the local weddings), Automotive (b/c Warren Brown is the father of an old high school friend of mind and his car page is reminiscent of the times I used to ride around in the back seat of the cars he was reviewing. Every now and again our opinion would make it into his articles. His write-ups still include his children, now in their 30s, which bring back great childhood memories), Sports (only during College Football season), and the Book Review. Since the Bestseller list doesn't change drastically from week to week, I'm more interested in the knowing about the 'hot off the presses' releases.

While reading is a cathartic exercise for me, time available to read without interruption is limited. Reading is usually done while traveling for business or during family vacations. Only on a rare occasion, like the release of the Harry Potter series, do I stop everything and read the release cover to cover. Joining the book club will force me to make more time for myself. Since the twins like to read, I'm hoping they take a queue from mommy and sit quietly to all read together. Kevin likes to read, too. Usually sci-fiction works, but his time is even more limited than mine.

Our first task - Little Elephants by Jennifer Weiner. I have exactly thirty days to read 432 pages, hardcover. It'll be a challenge, but I'm excited to be taking on this endeavor. I can't wait to gather with my friends to dissect the author's meaning and gain insight into how others interrupt a book. You may find me reading during my lunch break at work. I'll find a quiet corner in our main conference room which is rarely in use during the holidays. Plus I have a generous holiday break between Christmas the the new year.

I'm hoping that some of my books currently posted on my 'currently reading list' will be chosen by the book club members and I can move them to my 'just read'.

On another note - today is my cookie exchange party. I made four dozen almond ball cookies (i.e. - Italian wedding cookies). They are individually wrapped in mini silver candy wrappers and will be shared with eight other ladies from our neighborhood. Aunt Kitty and her friend Faris are coming up to watch the twins. After the party, it's Sunday afternoon football, gift wrapping and I hope to try my hand at making paper ornaments.

No comments: