03 September 2007

Labor Day Weekend

Frederick County school children begin their year the week before Labor Day Weekend. We always know the school year is about to begin when we see the buses practicing their routes around the neighborhood. In just one year John & Kathryn will be entering pre-school! One year - 365 days. Wasn't I just on bed rest anticipating their arrival!?!? Soon it'll be Wonder Pet lunchboxes & room mother snack coordination.

These past three days have been packed with fun! Our weekend began with our friend's wedding reception. The invitation said 'kid friendly'. I was skeptical. I rsvp'd for four but had my mom as a back-up in case the twins weren't being cooperative. They were on their best behavior (for the first 2 1/2 hrs, at least). The reception was beautiful. A friend of the groom opened her NW home for the event. The backyard was huge for DC standards! It seemed to go on for miles. And it was enclosed! Best of all, I knew most of the guests (lots of Gtown peers). Good company, great conversation.

We made it through the buffet, but don't know if they cut a cake. Once the twins begin to take their clothes off, we know it's time to exit stage right. John was the first to undress. Kathryn enjoyed lifting her dress to show everyone that her knickers were the same color as the rest of her outfit. The party had bubbles! The twins tried their best to blow bubbles, but most of the bottles were dumped on the grass. The buffet included these buttery brioche rolls. John double-fisted them the entire party. When he was done, he would return for more. He was quite perturbed when the roll basket was empty & made sure to tell us by having a mild tantrum. After the party, the day ended with a quick stop (1 hr) at Grandma/Grandpa Busardo's.

Side note - Saturday was the beginning of VA Tech's football season. The Hokies won 17-7, beating ECU.

Sunday was filled with errands - Walmart, BBBeyond, Lowes, and the Organic Market. With Fall approaching fast, I needed to re-mulch the front yard. 8 bags & 2hrs of back wrenching labor (gardening is therapeutic right?), the front looks clean & refreshed. Since our front yard isn't fenced, I couldn't let the twins play outside while I completed this task. I opened the windows & they sat on the inner ledge cheering me on from the other side of the screen. Like most projects, this wasn't completed in one try. After 20 minutes, they decided they didn't like me outside. I had to complete the mulching once they were napping.

I am not happy with the bushes that line the front of our house. I've lived here for 7 yrs (Kevin 12yrs) & every year we talk about having it landscaped w/ new plants & some rose bushes. 2008 will be the year. No exceptions. I have never had a green thumb. My mother breeds the most beautiful African Violets. I've killed them. I received a Christmas cactus once, I killed that one, too.

The evening concluded with ice cream cones on the patio and watching the airplanes fly overhead. Dulles was busy with incoming aircraft! Most times, John is the one fascinated with the planes. Sunday night was different. Kathryn would point & say 'plane' as each one flew by. New words are being articulated daily! Kevin & I are happy!!!

Monday brought Uncle Eddie for a Labor Day Weekend bbq. The twins love their Uncle because he is their human jungle gym! He usually leaves our house with at last one scratch and a few bruises. The master grillman, Kevin G, cooked us some yummy steaks. I made a tomato, cucumber & onion salad. We finished with homemade 'Khao Neeo Moon' or Sticky Rice w/ Coconut Milk & Mangos. Uncle Eddie left stuffed & exhausted.

The twins & me are looking forward four days to another busy weekend. Mary's great friend (and college roommate) will be visiting with her daughter. She'll be attending the FCPOM fall yard sale. I'll be hosting our guests & selling my goods.

No comments: